The Workers Rights Act has been proclaimed and is in operation as from the 24th of October 2019, except for Section (7)(b) Part VIII of the said Act (Portable Retirement Gratuity Fund) which shall come into operation on 1st January 2020.
The legislation and accompanying regulations, including new Renumeration Orders 2019 can be accessed here.
The legislation makes provision for inter-alia:-
- Atypical working arrangements such as online platform workers and Homeworkers
- Provides for flexible work arrangements such as flexitime
- Harmonisation of core conditions of employment and new benefits such as bank of sick leave, Juror's leave and other special leaves
- Setting-up of a Redundancy Board
- Harmonisation of shift work provisions
- Guarantees workers a gratuity on retirement on their full length of service
- Restriction of fixed term contracts and new provisions for continuous employment